Andrew Harris is easily conscious about what occurs to many working backs when a three is the primary choice of their age.
“I were given changed in Winnipeg. That’s the way it is going,” the 35-year-old bruiser mentioned this week.
However whilst the messy breakup between the Blue Bombers and their homegrown franchise participant led to a few low season drama, it now turns out find it irresistible would possibly were the most efficient factor for either side.
Even if their speeding numbers are down, the Blue Bombers are 7-0. The Winnipeg-born Harris, in the meantime, signed with the Toronto Argonauts within the wintry weather and is 2nd in league speeding yards with 407 in 5 video games, having performed two fewer video games than league-leading rusher Jamal Morrow of the Saskatchewan Roughriders (437 yards).
Closing week, the five-foot-10, 216-pound Harris went beast mode. He was the primary Canadian and the 6th participant total to achieve the ten,000-yard speeding mark for his profession when he carried the ball a whopping 26 instances for 143 yards and likewise hauled in seven passes for 45 yards in Toronto’s 31-21 street win as opposed to Saskatchewan.
The Argos (3-2) are the one crew within the East with a profitable document.
As Sportsnet’s Donnovan Bennett identified this week, if the CFL used to be choosing maximum exceptional participant nominations now, the 2 finalists most likely would each be Canadians – Harris and quarterback Nathan Rourke of the B.C. Lions.
“Clearly, there used to be a void right here Toronto had. I’m no doubt glad I were given the chance to fill that void,” Harris mentioned. “We’ve were given some nice working backs that might be changing me sooner or later right here, too. On the finish of the day, I’m simply fascinated about the chance and to nonetheless have the ability to play on the stage I’m taking part in at. I’m doing my very best to deal with my frame at this level and doing all of the proper issues off the sphere to ensure I’m wholesome and taking part in at a definite stage each and every week.”
The primary participant ever to be named Gray Cup MVP and best Canadian in the similar sport in 2019, Harris admits he wasn’t at his very best when the CFL returned in 2021.
Harris advised the Winnipeg Solar’s Paul Friesen his marriage broke up ultimate yr. His bodily conditioning used to be no longer the place it had to be and he ignored part the season because of harm, despite the fact that Harris used to be again for the playoffs and every other Gray Cup win.
“I believe ultimate yr used to be simply off in a large number of spaces. Possibly that’s simply translating to me taking part in higher this yr. It looks as if I’ve a chip on my shoulder,” Harris, the CFL’s speeding chief 3 years in a row from 2017 to ’19, mentioned. “Closing yr used to be in reality only a dangerous yr for me total off and on the sphere. The stuff off the sphere roughly resulted in at the box greater than anything else. This yr, my head is so much clearer so far as my setting and the entirety happening in my existence.”
Harris mentioned the Argonauts have advanced a device the place he is going all out at the first day of follow every week prior to reducing his reps, maintaining his frame for video games.
He additionally has to observe himself clear of follow.
“In my more youthful age, I didn’t in reality stretch or get remedy. I used to be consuming no matter I used to be consuming. I used to be roughly careless, proper?” he mentioned. “As you grow older, a past due night time doesn’t bode smartly for restoration or no longer stretching correctly or getting remedy as soon as an afternoon isn’t just right sufficient.”
Harris mentioned existence is just right in Toronto. Him and his female friend expect a boy round Gray Cup time, which might make for some attention-grabbing days if the Argos win the East.
This, in fact, could be a just right drawback to have.
“I’m roughly again to doing what I incessantly do,” Harris mentioned. “Possibly just a little additional motivation being with a brand new crew and taking part in the best way I’m. I don’t in reality really feel there’s any distinction from the place I’ve been previously as opposed to the truth I’m only a yr older and just a little bit smarter and perhaps just a little bit slower.”
Harris mentioned that ultimate line with fun – for just right explanation why. Howdy, although he’s slower, groups can’t appear to gradual him down.
What we preferred in Week 7
• Talking of turning again the clock, how about Montreal Alouettes QB Trevor Harris? The 36-year-old used to be 25-for-31 for 341 yards and two touchdowns in a 40-33 win over the Ottawa Redblacks.
• Staying with the theme of veterans making an have an effect on, 2019 CFL maximum exceptional participant Brandon Banks had an enormous 35-yard punt go back for the Argos to arrange their profitable landing in Saskatchewan.
What we did not like in Week 7
• Hamilton Tiger-Cats QB Dane Evans taking a vital time-count violation penalty past due within the fourth quarter of a 17-12 loss in B.C. Errors like which might be why the Ticats are 1-5.
• Redblacks receiver Darvin Adams losing a past due go in any case zone that will have tied the sport in opposition to Montreal. Errors like which might be why the Redblacks are 0-6.
• Argos trainer Ryan Dinwiddie asking Boris Bede to take a look at a 61-yard box function close to the tip of the primary part in Regina. Bede ignored and Mario Alford returned it 113 yards for a landing. Head-scratching name.
What to observe in Week 8
• Khari Jones, fired as Montreal head trainer previous this season, is now a soccer operations advisor for the Ticats. Hamilton hosts the Als on Thursday in a fight for 2nd within the East.
• The Calgary Stampeders’ harm checklist. Trainer Dave Dickenson mentioned a number of avid gamers had COVID-19 early within the week. The Stamps host the Blue Bombers in a heavyweight fight on Saturday.
• The Redblacks’ intensity chart. May just QB Nick Arbuckle, bought from Edmonton previous this season, make his first get started for Ottawa in Toronto?
Week 8 alternatives
Montreal Alouettes at Hamilton Tiger-Cats (-3), Thursday, 7:30 p.m. ET / 4:30 p.m. PT
Harris returns to Hamilton for the primary time since committing 4 turnovers in a loss within the East semifinal ultimate yr. PICK: Hamilton
B.C. Lions (-1.5) at Saskatchewan Roughriders, Friday, 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT
Roughriders had a COVID-19 outbreak ultimate week and QB Cody Fajardo is fighting a knee harm. PICK: B.C.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers (-1.5) at Calgary Stampeders, Saturday, 7 p.m. ET / 4 p.m. PT
Calgary has COVID considerations and it’s inconceivable to guess in opposition to the Blue Bombers till they lose. PICK: Winnipeg
Ottawa Redblacks at Toronto Argonauts (-5.5), Sunday, 5 p.m. ET / 2 p.m. PT
The Argonauts eked out a win in opposition to a seriously short-handed Roughriders crew and the Redblacks misplaced but every other shut sport. Ottawa’s due for a win. PICK: Ottawa
2022 document: 12-15
Odds from FanDuel as of Wednesday night time.
1. Winnipeg Blue Bombers (7-0, ultimate week: 1): Stay discovering tactics to win even if no longer at their very best, like ultimate week in Edmonton.
2. B.C. Lions (4-1, ultimate week: 3): Like Winnipeg, controlled to win on just a little of an off night time in opposition to Hamilton. Signal of an bettering crew.
3. Calgary Stampeders (4-1, ultimate week: 2): Returned from bye week with some COVID-19 absences and also have to stand Winnipeg.
4. Toronto Argonauts (3-2, ultimate week: 4): Two wins in a row in opposition to Saskatchewan have the Argos in keep an eye on of the East, however their play has been asymmetric.
5. Saskatchewan Roughriders (4-3, ultimate week: 5): Self-discipline issues, a COVID outbreak and an harm to Fajardo are all considerations for Gray Cup hosts. Drive is going approach up if Riders’ shedding streak hits 3 video games this week.
6. Hamilton Tiger-Cats (1-5, ultimate week: 6): Got here with reference to disappointed in B.C. on a brief week with dangerous shuttle. Best Canadian receiver Lemar Durant is ready to make his season debut this week.
7. Montreal Alouettes (2-4, ultimate week: 9): A lot-needed win in Ottawa for brand new trainer Danny Maciocia in his 2nd sport.
8. Edmonton Elks (2-5, ultimate week: 7): Made issues difficult for the Bombers, however the house shedding streak is now at 10 video games.
9. Ottawa Redblacks (0-6, ultimate week: 8): Someday, the Redblacks need to win this type of shut video games. Doesn’t really feel like a winless crew.